UW Writing Centers
The University of Washington’s writing centers are staffed by knowledgeable tutors who provide students with customized guidance on writing projects. These centers work with students at all stages of the writing process.
Writing Centers are also able to:
Most students report that the extra time they spend on their writing at writing centers gives them an edge, boosts their confidence, and helps them improve as thinkers, discussants, writers, and researchers
On this page, you will find:
- The Complete List of All Writing Centers at the University of Washington
- The Odegaard Writing and Research Center:
- Making the Writing Center a Helpful Part of Your Course – Tips for Instructors
- Want to Learn More about Writing Centers? Thinking of Starting a Writing Center?
- Other Writing Centers in the Western Washington Area
The University of Washington has writing centers for general use that are open both day and night, as well as over fifteen discipline-based writing centers. This list includes websites for each of the centers, as well as locations, hours of operation, and whether appointments are required.
The Odegaard Writing and Research Center is a joint effort of the Odegaard Undergraduate Library and the College of Arts and Sciences, and provides writing and research support for students’ work in courses throughout the College. Located on the 3rd floor of the Odegaard Library, OWRC is open from Sunday-Thursday from noon to 9:00 PM.
While many students seek out writing centers on their own, instructors can also invite a writing center to be a more active part of their course. The English Department Writing Center can make a 10-minute visit to your course, provide reports of when students visited the center, and make helpful suggestions about how to encourage students to use the writing center. Be sure to look at their writing center information designed for instructors.
- International Writing Centers Association
- Writing Centers Annotated Bibliographies at the Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) Clearinghouse
- Bedford Bibliography for Teachers of Writing (texts about writing centers for those in any discipline)
- University of Washington at Bothell Writing Center
- University of Washington at Tacoma Online Writing Center
- Seattle University Writing Center
- Seattle Pacific University Writing Center
- North Seattle Community College Writing Center (“The Loft”)
- Evergreen College Writing Center
- Western Washington University Writing Center